I’m going to start with a disclaimer: Today, like most days these days, I have absolutely no idea where I’m steering this post. In fact? Most of the last few weeks I start off with a paragraph about how busy/tired I am, and then launch into a list of what I’ve been up, before slowly ambling towards a conclusion.
I dislike writing like this. I think I prefer to just take one topic at a time, and beat it to glorious death. With words. Unfortunately, busy/tired people don’t seem to have the time for that kind of thing. The most I can manage is a minor mauling, before moving on to the next order of business.
Now we shall proceed with my list of kooky adventures:
1. I worked pretty much every waking hour this weekend. Except for the hour I just spent lying in bed chewing my way through a packet of ZING gum. I fully expect to have a bellyache or something equally terrible tomorrow, but it was awesome and decadent and frivolous, and this weekend really needed an injection of frivolous. Conclusion: Worth it.
2. I got told I look like Scarlett O’Hara in Gone with the Wind yesterday by a dude I work in the same building with.Apparently this had been bugging him for a while and yesterday he suddenly figured out ‘ahah! THAT’s who she reminds me of!’
I’m thinking Scarlett was kind of a lost soul (ahem, tempestuous bitch…), but I’m sure the sentiment was nice? That or he was trying to say – very discretely – that I’d tucked my giant froofy hooped skirt into my underpants, and no one had thought to tell me? I hate it when that happens.
3. I left my wallet on the bus while I was jugging a bouquet of rapidly dying flowers, stripper heels pretending to be work shoes, and a giant box of heavy brochures. It ended up in Karori of all places, so now I have to go out there tomorrow and retrieve it. I am very glad that it didn’t just disappear.
4. I FINALLY managed to get an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow, which is good because I’m out of meds and feeling all kinds of anxious and jittery. That was not a fun combination when added to the stress of this weekends conference. And losing my wallet.
5. For four beautiful, sun-filled days I had sea monkeys. Now I can’t see them swimming around anymore… Maybe they’re sleeping? (Please. PLEASE let them be sleeping.)
6. Last night I went to an ice-cream buffet. With six flavors. And hot fudge sauce, and a selection of nuts, and marshmallows on toothpicks. There was also other buffet things happening like vegetables, and mains and salads, but I only had eyes for the ice-cream. At one point the president of the organisation stood up and was all “I think we need to thank the conference organisers for a wonderful conference on blah blah blah my experience in this field has left blah blah and now I welcome the dinner speaker, and our esteemed guest blah blah blah.”
And NOT ONCE did he mention the fact that there was an ice-cream buffet. With six flavors to choose from. I have to say, I was a little scandalized. What kind of an event was this, anyhow?!
7. I start my new job on Tuesday. I am nervous. Not in the least because I have so very much to wrap up at my old job in the next month.
Um… now… Conclusion… Ah fuck it. I’m tired. I’m going to go watch a movie I think. Conclusion: Wo NZ Music Month! May is awesome.